Compassion for Jewish suffering does not make us less Muslim

 I AM MUSLIM.
AND I WANT MY MUSLIM BROTHERS AND SISTERS TO LOOK AT THIS PICTURE.


Please, do not scroll past it.

Look at the mother.
Look at the child in her arms.
Look at the rifle behind them.
Forget politics for one minute. Forget Israel. Forget Palestine. Forget every argument social media has trained us to have.
Just look at two human beings.
This was part of the Holocaust by Bullets. Jewish families were taken from their homes, marched into fields and forests, and murdered at close range. Mothers watched their children die. Children watched their parents die.
As a Muslim, this history matters to me.
And I want other Muslims to ask themselves: If we demand that the world recognize Muslim suffering, how can we ever close our hearts to Jewish suffering?
Our humanity cannot depend on the victim's religion.
I refuse to look at this mother and see only “a Jew.”
I see a mother.
I see someone desperately holding her child when she has nothing left with which to protect that child except her own arms.
That destroys me.
Antisemitism is not somebody else's problem. When Jews are dehumanized, mocked, threatened, or turned into conspiracy theories, Muslims should be among those standing up and saying:
Enough. Not in our name.
My Muslim brothers and sisters, study this history.
Look at this photograph.
Let it hurt.
Because compassion for Jewish suffering does not make us less Muslim.
It makes us more human.

By Mansoor Hussain Laghari

Comments